Steve's Eastern Carolina IAVS Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve's Eastern Carolina IAVS Journey

Thought I would post a few pics of my journey from a shed to warm fish and veggies (part way there..maybe 50%)
    Sorry pics wont load will try again next post
    Last edited by Timetogrow; 06-24-2017, 06:12 AM. Reason: could not get pics to load

Here is a try for just a single pic.

Comment

ok will try a few more then offer a little detail

Comment

trying again will give details later

Comment

Wow! My '86 project had 78 m2 (860 sq ft) of beds with a volume of about 32 m3 (40 cu yd). The single sump in that case was about +/- 80 to 100 liters (20 to 25 US gals or about 18 to 20" diameter by 16 to 18" deep) with the return pump on a float switch. Worked great. This was the only time I used an on-ground tank, instead much preferring in-ground tank(s) and gravity return from on-ground filter beds.

Adding - regardless of tank elevation, it should have a sloped or curved bottom to focus settled solids in a zone where the pump will extract them effectively.
          Last edited by Mark McMurtry; 06-24-2017, 07:07 AM.
          "There are in fact two things, science and opinion: the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." ~ Hippocrates, "Law", 400 BCE

Comment

My design is evolving around an AP approach that I am glad I didn't continue. I sure wish I hadn't started this monster sump, but since I am almost finished with it I am going to complete it. It might be a good fish tank in the future. Since it is in the ground I am insulating it with R-10 ( 2 layers of 1 inch Styrofoam ) on the bottom and sides all around.

Comment

here is a pic of progress on the in ground sump. Using concrete blocks I had on hand. But a kiddie pool would have been better than all the hard work!

Comment

Schematic of the 1986 project
                "There are in fact two things, science and opinion: the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." ~ Hippocrates, "Law", 400 BCE

Comment

Today I finished the insulation in the sump. Tomorrow I will install the epdm liner. Putting 6 mil poly between the Styrofoam panels was good practice for what lies ahead. The epdm liner is firestone 45 mil pond liner. Supposed to be non toxic to the fish. My intent is to use ibc tanks resting above the sump. The reasoning for my concern about insulation is the need to keep system water at 80 deg. F. That seems like a hard to reach temp. Most tilapia do not need water temp this high; however I am going to try stocking the "all male" hybrid. 80 degrees is the optimal temp., not required. The growth of this fish is impressive. At this point everything is fluid. I have a lot of stuff to flush as I move along the ivas direction. I have to express thanks for all who are sharing here. Really helpful stuff.

Comment

Hi TTG,

I read somewhere on the forum you are currently building your tank...Got any pics and explaination maybe of your progress to date?

Cheers

Comment

yeah goy a few pics I am trying to retrieve them from a cloud so I can resize and post. will do it soon.

Comment

I have no direct experience with IBC's but I repeatedly hear about the many problems with them - including that the plastic is not UV stable and it will substantially degrade/weaken within 12 to 18 months if exposed to the sun (from when new) - in addition to several other problems related to solids collection and removal. IF you enjoy troubleshooting and redoing stuff over and over, plus repeatedly manually cleaning fish shit accumulations out of all the corners and crevices ... well, then they are perfect.
                        Last edited by Mark McMurtry; 07-04-2017, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I'm quoting from the "Let's get shit happening...and report on it." thread for reference:

Originally posted by Timetogrow View Post
                          Only have a very shallow dip in the middle. I don't think it will help much. I am going to be using IBC's for 4 tanks above the sump. Only because I already have them. I have been wondering about sloping sand on two sides with the valley in alignment with the drain. If I put some durascrim on the sloped bottom and pin it down at the top of the slopes, will that create a mess or possibly help with directing the solids. I have also considered using some vinyl coated closet shelving with durascrim attached with plastic clothes pins at the top. I think I could almost create a cone bottom using wire ties to connect them. Any thouhghts? If this works I could use the same approach in the big sump to turn it into a fish tank. I have plenty of space outside to plumb in another smaller sump using barrels that I have on hand.
                          If you have room to plumb a sump, do you have room to dig a hole? An 8 foot diameter hole 3 feet deep plus sloped bottom would give you all the capacity of your IBCs. It would also be easier to maintain the ideal temp in one large body of water instead of five (IBCs & sump). Ideally, a heated pond would be covered anytime the outdoor temps are lower than the water temp; that might not be a big deal for the next couple of months, but September would be a different story.

"Just because you have a lot of something doesn't mean it should be getting used on your garden." - Mike McGrath

Comment

hello mtmind,
                            Perhaps a little clarification is in order. The shallow dip I was referring to is in a big sump in the ground. It has 2 inches of insulation. It is located inside a very well insulated " room" that I built for the purpose of sheltering the fish. I also have installed a 24 k mini-split heat pump to condition the air in the room (just got it running a few weeks ago). I had never understood the importance of sloped bottoms until I discovered such that Mark has so clearly stated on this forum. If I was starting from scratch I would certainly do everything differently. I am considering the sloped bottom idea I described above as a modification to the "not my first choice but already purchased" and on hand IBCs. Since the grow beds I am building will be outside one of the important things for me to track will be temp.(how much change in temp of water as it moves thru the system). Hoping to get sand and growbeds soon. Lots of work still to do. Many hours already invested to blend with the things I have learned here and on the blog.
                            Last edited by Timetogrow; 07-05-2017, 12:46 AM. Reason: btw the floor in this heated room is the ground.

Comment

I see; I didn't realize that the sump and tanks were going inside the shed. For some reason, looking at the photos, I thought the sump was along the outside of the shed wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X