Sand Selection In Sacramento CA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the update, Mikhail.

Where practicable, I suggest that we keep iAVs simple...to the point of using the basic 'in-ground fish tank and on-ground sand beds' model. It worked for Mark back in the day...and it works now...as demonstrated by Mike Haigh, Aufin - and other home gardeners. This is also the preferred model of the emerging commercial operators in India and Egypt.

Comment

• Would a PVC gutter work...?

Comment

• Gary Donaldson there are several challenges with in-ground. 1. space/digging. i can probably bury the tank into the ground since i have a round tank now. however that will be alot of digging and need to confirm i have space. 2. kids., i will need to add safety measure to prevent kids getting into the tank or throwing stuff in there since its below their level. 3. even water level in the tank. with sump tank i was able to maintain even water level in the fish tank which also surved as extra water storage while also hiding all of the pump equipment. 4. effective draining: with the sump tank i have a push approach vs pull. meaning, the sump tank pump pulls water and pushes to the fish tank forcing the water at the bottom to drain through the center picking up any elements with it and delivering to the grow beds. However, i will see what can be done. with the suggested approach i may require a different pump that is self priming while i have a little giant pump a the moment.

Mhaigh i will check it out. i did not see such gutters at my local place, maybe i missed it .

Thank You for your feedback!

Comment

• mikhail...while the method that I described is arguably the best (and most cost effective), there are other options...HERE. I agree that child safety is the absolute priority, however, I recommend that all tanks need to be covered (regardless of the layout) to prevent entry by children, birds and other animals...and (in my case) windborne debris.

Comment

• Gary Donaldson thank you for the feed back. i think i will attempt to bury the round fish tank and use the first approach based on your link. the tank is large enough so when the pump is turned on for 20 minutes the water level should not drop too low. hopefully i will start digging soon to bury the tank and save the remaining fish. i transported the sand past 2 days and going to move my grow beds today. i would like to reassemble this before the end of next week. i will post some pictures of the process

Comment

• A word of caution .... dont bury your tank or sump to the point of allowing ground water to enter either one when it rains. Dont know if rootknot nematodes are in your area, but I'm a little "snakebit" when it comes to the issue of RKN's. RKN's are a real mutha to get rid of once established in the sandbeds (yeah, I know..... biofilters). Its taken me 2 years to feel like I've finally cleaned them out of mine - fingers crossed - so I can get back on track growing things.

Comment

• Aufin makes a very good point. If you're placing components in-ground, you should make certain that stormwater cannot enter tanks. The potential for plant disease is just one issue. Stormwater may contain pesticides or herbicides (or other pollutants)...and will, at the least, wash mud and debris into your system.

Comment

• i will make sure the ground is not flush with tank but slightly raised. i still plan to use pvc gutter to capture drainage from the grow beds to flexibly deliver to the fish tank i should still be able to have the grow beds above the fish tank and at a slant toward the fish tank.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• i have one more concern to post the pump i used started rusting at the bottom. when purchasing it stated it was stainless steel, however, that is not so true based on the screenshot. its unfortunate but this looks like it also contributed to PH imbalance. can i salvage this? maybe spray it with some enamel protective layer? or some rubber paint?

20190415_214157.jpg
                    20190415_214212.jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

• If that was my pump I'd be on the phone asking some questions. Franklin used to be a very good name. They make the workhorse Little Giant pumps. Parts can usually be replaced if that's what you want to do. I'm sure the customer service rep can help you decide if its cost effective. Fix it or go for a Flo-Tec brand pump with plastic body and impeller.

Comment

• i purchased my pump here, https://www.supplyhouse.com/Little-G...e-Utility-Pump and they are not willing to refund me. also its 1 year warranty is up however the state of the pump went this direction way earlier. the pump is not as advertised.

also i would not recommend purchasing from https://www.supplyhouse.com/ as they did not attempt to resolve the issue except by offering me the same pump again at the original price i purchased it at which is a bit of nonsense since it obvious i will have the same problem again ^^. in this case i would say the 1 year warranty does not apply as its not working as advertised due to rusting when this unit is meant and i quote "for continuous usage"
                        Last edited by mikhail; 04-19-2019, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• Dont remember the model number, but my pump looks very much like this one. I do remember that I paid less than $100 from home depot, which doesn't carry flotec anymore. Been using the same pump for over 3 years, now.
                          https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flotec-FP...of-1/858571347

Comment

• thanks Aufin i am looking at this pump now https://www.walmart.com/ip/Superior-...-Pump/15125713 at least walmart would probably refund you without much questions if something like what i posted above would happen. i thought i purchased from more respectable company representing quality but thats all facade

Comment

Working...
                            X