Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before building iAVs

Hello Everyone, especiallay Mr. @Gary and Dr. @Mark,
    I am planning building my own iAVs at my front yard. FT = 1 M3 (1000 ltr) and SB = 2 m3 (6 M2 area with 0.3 m deep). v:v ratio 1:2,
    Before building iAVs, this the list of comment Dr Mark in APN forum.
    Water: Fresh (non saline), clear (non turbid), non pollute.
    Sand: well draining, no clay/slit, and chemically inert (not raising PH when contact with it).
    Furrow: on the sand surface to distribute water/waste evenly accross surface and keep aerial plant material dry. Furrow include both between all row of plants and around the entire perimeter. Dr Mark suggestion to keep the rise ridge wide and flat. In Dr Mark journal the furrow depht is 5 cm.
    Flood/Drain: Saturate filter subtrate and then allow it to drain completely every two hours (approx) during day light, leave drained over night.
    Irigation regime (sample from iAVs.info)
    • 6:00am (dawn or pre-dawn) – 1st pump cycle of the day starts)
    • 6:30am – drainage completed. Feed fish all they’ll eat in 15 minutes
    • 8:00am – 2nd pump cycle (1/4 of tank volume, each)
    • 10:00am – 3rd pump cycle
    • 12:00pm – 4th pump cycle
    • 1:00pm – Feed fish all they’ll eat in 15 minutes
    • 2:00pm – 5th pump cycle
    • 4:00pm – 6th pump cycle
    • 6:00pm – 7th pump cycle
    • 8:00pm – 8th pump cycle (dusk or slightly after, depending on season and location).
    Note: Pump remains OFF overnight

Fish Tank: Its capacity, proportions, shape (especially bottom slope) and the pump type/location need combine (‘work together’) to effectively allow solids to settle, and collect in a region/zone that the pump will readily extract/remove when it comes on.
    Try to schedule irrigation volumes sufficient to exchange (turnover) the FT at least twice each day.

Fish/Feed: Sufficient fish biomass and feed input consumed to satisfy fish and generate sufficient waste to fertilize the number and species of plants being grown - not feed/stocked more than the filter/microbes can process continuously.
    Feeding time in Dr Mark Journal at 08:00 and 13:00.
    Recommendation stocking density is 20 kg/m3, or 80 fish with weiht = 250 gr.
    Feeding rate of tilapia
    10 gr fingerling eat up to 15% BW per day
    50 gr fingerling eat up to 3 to 3 % BW per day
    300 t0 400 +/- gr eating less 1% BW per day.
    I dont have any experience in aquaculturing, I am very happy if Dr Mark and Mr Gary could share his feeding rate schedule of tilapia from fingerling to harvest time at 250 gr +/-).
    Thak you in advance.

PH= in iAVs optimum PH range (6.4 +/- 0.4).
    In case PH out of range.
    to lower PH = use Sulfuric acid or phosporic acid
    to rise PH = use calcium hidroxide or magnesium hidroxide. (please correct me).

And i want to know why, in Dr. Mark journal, the Sand Bed (SB) was inoculated with Fritz-zyme #7 (Nitrifying Bacteria Nitrosomas and Nitrobacter) and was irigated with aquaculture effluents for nine days prior planting first vegetable crop?

And what parameter that i have to take regularly and make reporting?
    Ammonia. Nitrite, Nitrate, anything else?

Thank you very much, i am happy to become part of iAVs.

Edi

Hi Edi,

Welcome to HMFL...and to iAVs.

I appreciate the effort that you have made to understand iAVs. That will stand you in good stead as you go about building your own system.

"Recommendation stocking density is 20 kg/m3, or 80 fish with weiht = 250 gr." Edi, Mark determined that feeding 80 fingerlings (15 grams each) per cubic metre of tank volume - to a harvest weight of 250 grams each - was sufficient to provide the nutrients required to produce the harvest weight of the crops upon which he reported. Mark stated..."Each 1.0 kg of fish weight gain provided sufficient quantities of all required plant nutrients to sustain 2 tomato plants yielding 5-7 kg of fruit per plant over 3 months."

Mark's use of Fritz-zyme #7 sought to initiate the colonisation of nitrifying bacteria in the system...and to get some microbial activity happening in the sand beds...in advance of planting out the beds.

Edi, feel free to outline your plans here and we'll do our best to guide you.

Gary
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

www.garydonaldson.net - my main website.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.donaldson.161 - my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167267703372756/ - my Microponics and Waste Transformation Farming Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1318946951452383/ - my iAVs Facebook Group

www.urbanaquaponics.com.au - the current home of the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual.

Comment

Thank you very Much mr. Gary,
      I want to build my iAVs with 1 m3 (1000 ltr) of FT and SB 6 m2 for easy Follow you & Dr Mark recommendation,
      Last night i had been shieving my sand, i got from local query, the result is inert with vinegar testing, but the composition is bad, in 1m3 of sand, 1/3 is gravel, 1/3 silt category, and the rest is acceptable for iAVs,

I will update agani two weeks later, because tomorrow i have to go work for two weeks,

-Edi

Comment

Mr Gary could you share feeding schedule for tilapia fish from fingerling to harvest size of tilapia, i dont have any experience in aquaculture,
        Thank you very much,
        Edi

Comment

Originally posted by edigo View Post
          Mr Gary could you share feeding schedule for tilapia fish from fingerling to harvest size of tilapia, i dont have any experience in aquaculture,
          Thank you very much,
          Edi
          The fish were fed twice daily. The first feeding occurred at around 6.30am (all they would eat in 15 minutes) and the second feeding happened at 1.00pm (all they would eat in 15 minutes). This is done consistently throughout the entire grow out period. There is no measured amount of feed on any given day...just all they will eat in 15 minutes...through the cropping cycle.

Is this what you are looking for?
          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

www.garydonaldson.net - my main website.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.donaldson.161 - my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167267703372756/ - my Microponics and Waste Transformation Farming Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1318946951452383/ - my iAVs Facebook Group

www.urbanaquaponics.com.au - the current home of the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual.

Comment

Yes, in Dr Mark journal I found the feeding rate like you have said mr Gary, i thought the feeding rate base on %* BW, and divide two time at 6:30 and 13:00,
            Thank you,
            Edi

Comment

How is everything coming along?

Comment

Working...
              X