Duckweed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duckweed

Duckweed, among the world's smallest flowering plants, epitomises everything that HMFL is about.

It grows on nutrients provided by our fish and worms...and it has a myriad of uses.

For more information about this remarkable aquatic plant...click HERE.

In recent weeks, we've been growing duckweed in shallow grow tanks... each 2.4m x 0.9m. Suffice to say, at this stage, I'm not growing enough of this very useful plant to meet our needs.

So, in recent days, we've built a 3m x 3m duckweed tank...about 400mm deep...with a capacity of around 3.5 cubic metres...out of treated pine sleepers lined with a butyl rubber liner that I already had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8316.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	2207

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12d75.jpg
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	2208

We installed bracing posts midway along each side of the pond...dug into the soil...to offset the possibility of the sleepers 'bellying' under the weight of the water.

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_12d8b.jpg
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	2209

Like all of our systems, the duckweed tank will be multifunctional...with some prospective uses including:
    • Flowforms...for aeration, stirring and aesthetics. The flowforms will be supported above (literally on top of) the duckweed tank...drawing from one side of the tank and discharging at the opposite side.
    • Nutrient reservoir...this would give us a huge plant food store...from which all of our plants are watered. One way traffic from this system to the fish tank
    • Support for shallow grow beds....suggestive of the Chinampa of the Aztecs. They could even be sand beds...with the key goals of hosting beneficial micro-biology...and providing the most cost-effective filtration.
    In the meantime, it's a duckweed pond...and it's been filled with water from our rain storage tanks. I've seeded it with duckweed...and it has already captured its first gum tree leaves...so a bird netting cover will be the first accessory for the new pond.

Comment

In keeping with my short term goal to get all of my food production systens up and operating, I've connected a high volume transfer pump to my rainwater tanks...to enable me to transfer water to the new duckweed pond. I also have a sump pump to enable me to fill the nutrient tank from the duckweed pond...and a pressure pump to deliver from the raised nutrient tank to anywhere I need it (via hoses) to anywhere on our place.

Name:	20190102_160700.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	2223

The raised nutrient tank is used to distribute custom mixes from various sources including worm leachate, plant teas and anything else I might want to provide to our plants.

The tank is graduated so I can also measure the volume of the liquors that I'm brewing and mixing.

Comment

Working...
      X