Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inadequate Equilibria

Hi
    I find this book https://equilibriabook.com/ an interesting, fun, and educational read, enjoy.

About the book, Quote :
    “Every society is screwed up. Eliezer Yudkowsky is one of the few thinkers on Earth who’s trying, at the most general level, to understand why.”

—Bryan Caplan, Professor of Economics at George Mason University
    Author, “The Myth of the Rational Voter”

Inadequate Equilibria is a little gem of a book: wise, funny, and best of all useful. Eliezer Yudkowsky and I haven’t always agreed about everything, but on the subject of bureaucracies and how they fail, his insights are gold. This book is one of the finest things he’s written. It helped me reflect on my own choices in life, and it will help you reflect on yours.”

—Scott Aaronson
    David J. Bruton Jr. Centennial Professor of Computer Science at the University of Texas
    Author, “Quantum Computing Since Democritus"

cheers

Ande...thanks for the link...but I found that my eyes started to glaze over after the first few pages. While I'd love to understand more about why the world is so mixed up, I'm not sure that this book will do that for me. One of the issues for me was the level of prior knowledge of the general subject matter that the book seems to require.

I envy your ability to read and understand it.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

www.garydonaldson.net - my main website.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.donaldson.161 - my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167267703372756/ - my Microponics and Waste Transformation Farming Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1318946951452383/ - my iAVs Facebook Group

www.urbanaquaponics.com.au - the current home of the Online Urban Aquaponics Manual.

Comment

Problems (MAY) have solutions - or not. However, predicaments do NOT have solutions. The human condition has dozens of predicaments in our current and immediate future, that we both individually and more significantly collectively absolutely refuse to acknowledge. Predicaments have outcomes aka consequences - always. That which cannot continue indefinitely doesn't. i.e. infinite growth on a finite planet, destroying the entire biosphere that sustains all life. When one is focused merely on alleged resolution to alleged problem(s) (or on non-problems and/or non-resolution), then you will not realize the predicaments we are under nor the severity of the inevitable outcomes. All we can actually prepare for is extinction. It saddens (aka sickens) me that alleged 'great thinkers' categorically refuse to 'see the forest for the trees' (predicaments for the problems). Problems are simple relative to predicaments which are terminal. Homo sapiens sapiens NOT. Homo moronicusrex terminii YES!
      Last edited by Mark McMurtry; 03-20-2018, 08:20 AM.
      "There are in fact two things, science and opinion: the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." ~ Hippocrates, "Law", 400 BCE

Comment

Hi Gary

Originally posted by Gary Donaldson View Post
        I envy your ability to read and understand it.
        It's probably the approach, I started reading chapter 3 https://equilibriabook.com/molochs-toolbox/ after receiving that link in a discussion I had on child care, and I could relate it directly to that discussion.

cheers

Comment

Hi Mark

Originally posted by Mark McMurtry View Post
          Problems (MAY) have solutions - or not. However, predicaments do NOT have solutions. The human condition has dozens of predicaments in our current and immediate future, that we both individually and more significantly collectively absolutely refuse to acknowledge. Predicaments have outcomes aka consequences - always. That which cannot continue indefinitely doesn't. i.e. infinite growth on a finite planet, destroying the entire biosphere that sustains all life. When one is focused merely on alleged resolution to alleged problem(s) (or on non-problems and/or non-resolution), then you will not realize the predicaments we are under nor the severity of the inevitable outcomes. All we can actually prepare for is extinction. It saddens (aka sickens) me that alleged 'great thinkers' categorically refuse to 'see the forest for the trees' (predicaments for the problems). Problems are simple relative to predicaments which are terminal. Homo sapiens sapiens NOT. Homo moronicusrex terminii YES!

I disagree that we (people individually & collectively), refuse to acknowledge predicaments (some do, some don't), I belive we can influence the outcome on various predicaments, and we will in a positive way.
          Also I think it's a waste of time and energy to prepare for extinction, why or how can one even do that ?
          If you survive extinction, it didn't happen by my logic.
          Unless you are talking about preparing for some sort of afterlife, post human extinction? witch I also would see as, a waste of time and energy.

I do share your worries, on the lack of or slow actions taken, by some individuals and countrys, to make a positive influence on numerous predicaments on future human conditions
          I have to be optimistic on behalf the future generations to come, and willing to do my part on the matters, is my take.

Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	1655

cheers
          Last edited by ande; 03-27-2018, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X