Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to Bigdaddys backyard

Hi everyone,

Bigdaddy's backyard is an area in my new home of approximately 5 metres by 5 metres. On which resides a compulsory 1000 litre rainwater tank for the house. Diagonally opposite a very large reverse cycle air conditioning unit. A path around the house and on the Eastern fence line where the rainwater tanks sits on the corner of the block.Currently the area has approximately 3 metres by 3 metres of grass surrounded by a fence on one side a path on two sides and the back fence line with approximately 1 metre of garden and bark.

It is my wish for this area to be my outdoor entertaining area and food production area, a prerequisite of the food system is it must look good and be aesthetically pleasing.

Here are some pics of my backyard.

Cheers.
    Attached Files

Nice pictures! It is evident you are neat and orderly. I will be lurking from North Carolina, USA wishing you success

Comment

Thanks TTG,

I thought I'd update people on progress of my iVAs system.

I'm not expecting to be able to do a great deal in the way of sand for the next couple of months, meanwhile I've been talking on this forum about my tanks and receiving some very helpful information about constructing new tanks.

ATM I think I will take up the idea of digging a hole in my backyard as instructed and lining it.
      Today I've priced some .7mil EPDM fish pond liner and it comes to $67.00 per 1 metre length by 3 metres wide.

I'm thinking of building the pond in the left hand corner then running the grow beds from right to left. The reason why I think this will be the place. is in our fair city the sun sets in the west and the left hand fence is the western boundary. So if I were to build the tank in that corner the fence could help shade the harsh summer afternoon sun, plus I may be able to construct a roof (If needed) over the pond using the northern and western fences as part of the shelter.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi BD,
        I have just put my epdm liner in an in ground tank. I am very sure you do not want .7 mil. I used 45 mil Firestone pond liner. Somewhere Mark has recently reviewed this subject and he has posted the technical specs in a narrative that is "right on". Don't have the link atm, but as I said I am very,very sure you will benefit from studying this more before purchasing a liner.
        All the best, Steve

Comment

45 mil = 1.143 mm
          0.7 mil = 0.01778 mm

In the US, Firestone 45 mil EPDM ("fish-safe" version) can be had for US$6.68/m2 or less (plus shipping) [or AU$8.91 currently]

BTW, as a cautionary note, Amazon's pricing on liners, feed and a lot of other items is NOT the cheapest source. Liner prices are 2, 3 or even 4 times as much as most other sources. Feed is 5 or more times as much as your local retailer. I buy many things off Amazon virtually every week but NOT any aquaculture related (or hardware/industrial/tech) items. And, if you REALLY love being ripped-off, use Amazon "Prime". ... 'just saying'
          Last edited by Mark McMurtry; 07-09-2017, 01:58 AM.
          "There are in fact two things, science and opinion: the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance." ~ Hippocrates, "Law", 400 BCE

Comment

• Gary Donaldson
            Gary Donaldson commented
            Editing a comment
            I may be wrong here....but I think the EPDM stuff that BD is talking about probably 0.7mm. I have an EPDM liner and it's quite thick.

You are not wrong Gary,

I asked the shop assistant how thick it was he told me it was .7mil when I asked how thick that rating was he went away for more info and came back with .7mm. Me, not knowing the terminology of the thickness of pond liners thought that was the way it was measured. Just by me feeling the thickness, the .7mm lines up.( I wasn't real happy at the thickness as I thought it was a bit on the thin side, but I did, and still do think I could still use it if I need to)

You guys get things so inexpensive over there.
          I think I may be in the wrong shop but my price works out at $23.30 per square metre and that is for liner which is considerably thinner..

One other thing I think I may do is when I've dug my hole I'll assess if it needs some thick weed mat or fibre sheeting substance over the top of the soil. I suspect the soil around here will be quite shaley when I get past the topsoil.

Where did you get your liner from Gary?

Cheers.
          Last edited by bigdaddy; 07-09-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Hi BD/all
            cut/paste from here : http://www.conservationtechnology.co...er_rubber.html

POND LINER THICKNESS: Thickness of synthetic rubbers is expressed in mils: one mil equals one-thousandth of an inch or one-fortieth of a millimeter. In general, the thickness of rubber has little effect on environmental aging characteristics of a liner, but can have a significant effect on the ease of installation and resistance to mechanical abuse. Irregular free-form garden ponds, especially those smaller than 500 square feet, should be lined with 30 mil (0.75mm) rubber for the neatest results with the fewest folds. Larger free-form ponds, or small ponds with simple rectangular or elliptical shapes, can be successfully lined with 40 mil (1.0mm) or 45 mil (1.15 mm) rubber. Recreational ponds, stormwater ponds, irrigation reservoirs, canals, artificial wetlands, and other large projects are usually lined with 60 mil (1.5mm) rubber since it is easier to seam and is considerably stronger than thinner sheets. 60 mil sheet is also preferred for waterfalls and streams.

Offcourse those of us living in a metric world usually get the thicknes given in mm (metric)

cheers

Comment

Working...
            X